I’ve always thought that Ibiza was a place for young club-hopping partiers so you can imagine my surprise when my mom informed me we would be traveling as a family there for my stepfather’s 70th birthday celebration.
While yes, there was quite a party scene and we were hard-pressed to find any bar, restaurant or beach club without club music playing 24/7, Ibiza is an incredibly cool, bohemian European island. Between the dinners al fresco in gorgeous surroundings and the secluded and unexpected beaches (each more beautiful than the last), Ibiza is a magical place. For the shoppers in our group (including me), there were amazing and unexpected finds… small shops at every beach, even gift shops at restaurants (especially loved the jewelry, scarves and other accessories). We were there for five nights and I could have stayed for ten. Yes, we ventured out to Pacha for our token club night and rang in my birthday with a bottle of Domain Ott and a sparkler (no foam, for what it’s worth). But other than that, Ibiza was full of surprises and left me wanting more.
A few places you must check out…
- Hacienda Na Xamena – this is a gorgeous hotel with incredible views – while I’m not sure there’s a true “five star” resort on Ibiza, this is a pretty place to stay as long as you have a rental car (it’s off the beaten path!)
- Cala Benirrás – beautiful beach for a swim, great restaurant called Elements, love love love the gift shops here
- La Paloma – lovely Italian(ish) restaurant, great for big groups; sit outside
- Pacha – the quintessential Ibiza nightclub with famous DJs and original entertainment; extra points if your step-sister can hook you up with a private area overlooking the dancefloor and complementary bottles of rose and vodka
- Ibiza Town – great for shopping, eating and strolling about; check out the old fort (I didn’t but heard it was cool!)
- Calima Restaurant – perfect lunch spot with beautiful views and great food in the marina – plan to take your time (this is true everywhere!)
- Amante – very special place… beach club and restaurant; we ate here on my birthday and it’s beautiful and absolutely delicious!
- Cipriani – who knew there was one in Ibiza! This was an Ibiza version of the classic Venetian favorite – music, pool, outdoor seating, great service and delicious Italian food